OPI: Barre My Soul with Pirouette My Whistle

If you've been following us for a while now, you would know I am not a fan of nudes. I'm all for the dark side (they have cookies!). But when I saw these swatches at Scrangie's, I knew I was a goner. I had seen quite a few swatches of the NYC Ballet collection before that but nothing quite prepared me for the yumminess on Scrangie's nails. So be warned: click that link at your own risk!

So what happened next was an insane and very tortured decision-making process which involved devil whispering, "They are really pretty!!"; and angel saying, "You know you won't wear them!"
No prizes for guessing who won in the end - devil said, "They will be work appropriate!" I ended up grabbing two from the collection: Barre My Soul and Pirouette My Whistle. I'm really glad I did. I already used it twice before this post.


Barre My Soul is a sheer peachy-beige jelly that looks oooooohhh so squishable! I used three thin coats for these swatches. There is still a hint of VNL but I'm perfectly fine with that - it gives my nails a very subtle french tip. Really pretty and flattering!

Application was really much easier than I had expected. I've heard that sheer jellies are usually extremely streaky. So I went about painting my nails carefully with a slightly lighter touch. Fortunately, I had no streakiness so I guess the OPI formula is much better. I didn't have that much luck with Essie Marshmallow but that's a story for another day.

And because the glitter topper is just calling out to me, I added one coat to each of my nails.



Look how delicate and pretty it is! I really like the glitter mix - plenty of small silver glitter with some white hex glitter floating lazily around. So dreamy! *sighs happily*

And since I'm still obsessed with mattifying everything:



Ahhhh I love this look! Now, I really feel like I have fluffy white clouds or cotton candy *yum* on my nails! ;p

And if you had been following me on Instagram (@thepolishwell) / Facebook, you would have seen this NOTD I did with 2 coats of Barre My Soul over tips freehanded with Orly White Champagne:


2 coats of Barre My Soul hid my stains really well and I was so in love with this classy look!

Erm, yea... so I ended up liking this sheer jelly a lot. I might just end up buying the other jellies in this collection. I know a lot of people were drawn to the sheer pink (You Callin' Me a Lyre) but it looked a tad too pink and stark for my liking. *shrugs* Who knows, I may change my mind after falling in love with Barre My Soul!

What do you think of Barre My Soul and Pirouette My Whistle? Do you like it matte or shiny?
Which other colors did you get from OPI NYC Ballet?

xoxo,
mich


38 comments:

  1. A Girl and Her PolishApril 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM

    OMGoodness!  You are so funny!  I went to the dark side because of the cookies!!  I love the matte!  It totally changes the polish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooo...This is not acceptable!  *covers eyes with hands*  I thought I had beaten back the desire to own these and then you go and make it look soooo pretty and MATTE.  I am going to see if my JCPenny's has them this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy Plowman-PennockApril 14, 2012 at 10:00 AM

    This actually reminds me a lot of Revlon Starry Pink, I'm sure not so much in real life though.  I LOVE it mattified!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this =) one of my favourite collections. I'm still waiting for my matte topcoat to get here, and I'm going to do it matte too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so pretty! But I just cant fall in love with this collection as much as i WANT to :[

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both so beautiful!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some cookies for you too? ;p
    I didn't expect the matte coat to change it so much! But I'm pretty happy with the result too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Thank you, Yvonne! o"o
    And welcome to the dark bright side! ;D 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh ya!! Not identical but definitely similar - both look so soft and pretty <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. yay! Glad you like it matte too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what I told myself too - before I saw Scrangie's swatches that is.. lol! 
    But it's a good thing if you don't love them - wallet saved! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehheh.. glad you like them too!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like these two.  Normally, I'm like you and lean towards the darker shades but these and the grayish one, name escapes me, are all calling my name.  Pinkish sheer is still pushing it for me though. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My thoughts exactly!! :D
    I'm now eyeing the grey and lilac. Would be eyeing the white too if I hadn't bought Essie Marshmallow already. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can totally relate to your angel and evil whisper as I am still hearing them... Still couldn't decide if I would to pass this, but they really look tempting.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Btw... How is Pirouette My Whistle compare to Fairy Dust? They do look pretty similar except that Pirouette My Whistle has Hex glitter in it. It would be great if you can do a quick comparison :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. hmm... they are both quite delicate looking but I think Fairy Dust is holographic while PMW is just a plain silver glitter. Will see if I can do a quick comparison swatch for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. see.. I always say you are evil.. lol ;p;p

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm.. in that case, it seems like I need both Fairy Dust & PMW. *looking for justification for me buy*.. kekeke

    ReplyDelete
  20. Helena Lacky CornerApril 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM

    I think it's very pretty. 

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, Helena! Glad you like it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. i like it shiny. i got the miny set! which is stupid cos i realise they are sheer colours so I would prbli use them more often then opaque ones >.< will have to buy the 15ml ones soon

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's what I thought too! I'm a little afraid I will go through this bottle very quickly! Thinking of getting a back of this just in case.. =\ lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks great, I'm really smitten with OPI (& Essie... & Cult nails.. haha) lately and this collection is so wearable and sweet. This looks great on you too dear ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really love that combo! Especially matte! So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. yay! I didn't expect it turn out so pretty too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I actually love this glitter and I hate glitter!!  But this is so delicate and pretty-I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh yes! It's quite unlikely any other glitter I've seen! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh it looks so pretty mattified! 

    ReplyDelete
  31. yupp!! I'm in love with mattified glitters these days <3

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great idea to mattify it! I've never seen anyone else come up with that idea. It looks so nice mattified!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Glad you like it too! ^_^ I am really loving matte glitters! They look really amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete

 

Instagram

Categories