Deborah Lippmann: Across the Universe (and Essence Blue Addicted)

When I first started my polish obsession in October last year, Deborah Lippmann's Across the Universe was one of my biggest lemmings. Thankfully, my best friend kindly agreed to help me buy and bring some polishes back to Singapore during her vacation (she's studying in the States now).

So here's the beauty that got me drooling all over my laptop:


Across the Universe is a sheer deep blue jelly with green and silver (blue?) glitter suspended dreamily in the dark-colored base, giving it a look with incredible depth that's almost mesmerizing. It is one or two shades darker than it looks in the pictures but I could not get the camera to capture that.

Because I dare not waste this precious polish, I layered two coats over Essence Hard to Resist.


Of course, at about USD 18, Across the Universe is slightly pricey.
The good news is that there is a cheaper dupe by Essence - Blue Addicted. And, you've already seen it! Look at the pictures again, could you tell which is which? :et I couldn't. For the record, Essence Blue Addicted is on my pinkie and middle fingers while Across the Universe is on my ring and index fingers.

While they look identical, the formula is a world of a difference.
ATU has a better formula that is smoother and much easier to apply.
On the other hand, BA had already turned gloopy in the bottle. There was still a lot of glitter at the bottom of the bottle even after I shook it until my face turned the same shade as the polish. :|| It was still possible to paint my nails but I think it made BA looked a smidget darker because I simply plopped on the gooey mixture onto my nails and smeared it around like it was some blueberry jam. :f

Close up of Deborah Lippmann's Across the Universe
Isn't it gorgeous?!
What do you think of this color?

xoxo,
mich

26 comments:

  1. Oh my, that's gorgeous! You're so lucky, I've been lemming that polish for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an amazing colour! I've got the Essence version, and fortunately it hasn't turned gloopy yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my God! this color is soooooooooooo amazing! But DL is really pricey and Essence is not available here... :(:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helena Lacky CornerMay 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM

    It's an amazing color. I have a bottle of Essence that I haven't tried on yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! I have the Essence version but have yet to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Thank you!! I feel incredibly lucky I have this too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. bummer! I must have gotten a bad bottle or something then :(( 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I love it!! BA is almost always OOS over here! I was really lucky to have grabbed the last bottle on the shelves when I was shopping that day! I haven't seen it since then. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you should try it soon! It's very pretty! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have to try it!! :D It's <3333!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like essence blue addicted ! o:

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this polish, I have the Essence version ♥.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Blue Addicted and tested it on one nail. Seemed pretty okay to me, maybe you got a bad bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it so much I had to get the Essence dupe even though I already have the DL lol! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh? hmmm... in that case, I think I probably did :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are such good dupes! Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this one!  I think this is going to be my first DL purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful! I have the Essence version but have yet to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Helena Lacky CornerMay 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

    It's an amazing color. I have a bottle of Essence that I haven't tried on yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sharon Dean ClarkJune 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

     Well, then I must have gotten 2 bad bottles.  I purchased 2 bottles of Blue Addicted from two different Kruidvats here and they are both gloopy.  I used Seche Restore to thin a bit but they turn gloopy again after a short period of time.

    I've seen a lot of the Blue Addicted bottles in Kruidvats in the past week.  Sometimes it's overflowing with that shade.  I'm betting the formula problem is one reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh.. so I'm not the only one having problems with this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you! ^_^
    hahaha my mum will have fit too if I told her the price of the DL lol! So a definite yay for cheaper dupes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice swatches! I know exactly what you're feeling, I am really wantin this polish. It's gorgeous! That and Mermaid Dream by DL too, both are must haves ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜. Haha but my mom just has a cow when looking at the prices of the OPI polishes, imagine if I showed her these pricey babies....she'll have an entire farm! Lol ๐Ÿ˜œ. Hah, maybe,maybe, someday. Preferably before i am sixty hehe. Thanks a lot for showing us the dupe too, good info to have if I get desperate ๐Ÿ˜.

    ReplyDelete

 

Instagram

Categories