Nail Ideas: Rainbow Stripes!

So what's that mysterious manicure that I refused (and still refuse) to remove, you ask?

Here's what has been gracing my nails since Thursday:


Isn't it colorful and fun!? :L I first saw this manicure here at Manicurator and it was love at first sight. So I had to recreate it for myself!

It is quite a simple manicure to do. Basically, you plop a drop of polish on a clean surface and swirl it around until it thickens and gets stringy. Then, you pull the 'strings' of polish across your nails to get the stripes. There you have it! Simple... but a little tedious. Worth the trouble? Definitely.

I would leave this mani like this if I could but I added top coat to seal in the design. I didn't want to because Seche Vite melted down and flattened the stripes, making them less distinct. Oh but what to do? :( The 3D effect was good while it lasted.

You can find me on Instagram @thepolishwell :)
Colors used:
Red - O2 Skin MK0220
Orange - red + yellow
Yellow - China Glaze Happy Go Lucky
Green - yellow + blue + a little indigo
Blue - China Glaze Electric Beat
Indigo - L.A. Girls Dance Studio
Violet - indigo + red + a little white creme
White base - Orly Au Champagne

So, what do you think of this mani?

xoxo,
mich

[edit: I've made a tutorial for these stripes here :) ]

42 comments:

  1. This is really cool!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap!  I LOVE THIS!!!  Seriously fantastic!  Too bad SV ruined the effect.  I need to try this!  I'll try a different top coat and see if I get a better result.  Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome idea!! did it take a long time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, no wonder you don't want to take it off. It looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, jackie! Glad you like it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!! Do let me know if you find the perfect top coat for this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you like it too! It took me a while to get the technique and the colors right for the first nail but it was much faster for the others ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy wow this looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much fun! I definitely want to try this effect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have been painting your nails quite a bit recently! This looks so cheery! Perfect for the recent hot and humid weather :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha ya!! I have more time for trying nail art now that the hols are here ;) I notice you changing your mani often too! 
    And I absolutely love how fun this looks! <3 (Of course, that doesn't mean I love the weather. urgh.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks AWESOME! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Victoria - ManicuratorMay 22, 2012 at 12:52 PM

    Absolutely fantastic!! And thank you so much for the mention and link :) 

    ReplyDelete
  14. No no... thank *you* for the awesome inspiration!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really cute!!  I have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is super cute!! I'll have to try it out! 

    I just stumbled across your blog, if you get a chance check out mine :)

    xo, Jersey Girl 

    hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Marisa! Glad you like it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Angela! I will be sure to drop by your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome!! Love the 3D effect, but too bad about Seche flattening it. >_< And it's so time-consuming, kudos to you for taking the time to do each finger (and making a video too!). <3 

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the thickness of your manicure! The 3d effect is great. I did this look some weeks ago but my stripes were very thin and not thick at all. i guess I have to try with other polish brands :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! I wasn't actually going for such thick stripes but I couldn't get the thin strings to pull across my nails fully. By the time they could, the polish had already turned pretty thick lol! But I'm glad you like it too! <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you! I sure did take quite a while to do these nails for the first time hehh. Glad you like it though! <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this manicure so i did it to,thank's for the tutorial.
    (✿◠‿◠)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you! I'm glad you like it!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  25. quoted you here http://nailsnoob.blogspot.it/2013/01/miss-sporty-aurora-borealis-swatch.html THANKS! following you.

    ReplyDelete

 

Instagram

Categories